Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Let it Reign Redux, Red 19 Gray 12

Sorry, I borrowed the title from Inchausti on the Creaker web site.

Now since he gave practically a blow by blow on that site, I will have to wax poetic (sing with me):

Red rain is coming down
Red rain
Red rain is pouring down
Pouring down all over me

(Peter Gabriel for those who are rock challenged)

Or I could moon on about Rudgear and how it was the field of dreams for my original team, but somehow I think I have done that before. I'm a senior, so I am not sure I remember. Let it just be said that this time Red was the home team and no one beats my team on my home field.

Er, so there was a game, and Red jumped out to a 5-3 lead in the first after giving the visitors a head 3-0 start. The big blow came off the bat of speedy Brian (Bud) Black, a two run triple that was not his only line shot down left field way of the day (he later hit a home run in the same direction, he was good for 3-4 and five RBIS).

Then we scuffled for a couple of innings and let Gray back in it to the point where they had a 9-8 lead. But then I noticed our good luck charms were coming up the path by the tennis courts - Coach Hank's Entourage. They don't come to see us lose. And so we had to turn the game around. This happened in the bottom of the fifth, with John Dewes starting it with a hit (he also start our 7th inning rally with an infield hustle swinging bunt hit). It turned the lineup over and after Hank McDermott moved the runners up, Mike Fragosso hit a clutch two run single and we were off. Black and Pete D'Alonzo also had clutch two out hits to get us our five.

I should give credit or an assist to myself or the opposition's Randy Kramasz for the runners getting in scoring position. Hank hit the fly out to Randy, and I stayed off first base daring Randy to make the throw. He bit, and I don't think he is talking to me any more because the throw ate up the first baseman in the dirt and we moved up, and so it goes.

In the seventh after a shutdown in the top we finally took control. Same cast starting with Dewes, and this time the middle of the order muscled up - deep bombs by Fragosso (triple to left center), Steve Alvarez (triple to right) and then the homer by Black, sealed the deal with our five runs.

Red played some decent defense this game too, Fragosso was a force at SS, especially on the last out of the game. Gray had loaded them up on two near third out balls, one on the ground and one a dying quail in left field. But the next batter hit a classic blooper to short left that seemed destined to drop, score two runs, and give Gray the hope they were looking for. But Mike was determined to get this one and in one swipe and a slight juggle with his back to the infield, the game was over.

We also had several near double plays, but finally did turn one on a bases loaded line drive that the rover picked up at his shoe tops and ran to second to force the surprised runner. Creakers aren't supposed to be able to bend down!

Overall a good hitting day for the Red Storm. The lead off hitter was his usual pesky self and didn't make an out. Power hitters Fragosso, Alvarez and Black each was 3-4 with a triple (and Black the HR), and scored three runs. Howard 'little guy' or 'the babe' or 'don't call me howie' had a couple of bombs that tore through the glove of the center fielder twice, one for a double and one where he touched them all in a classic slow-motion Creaker HR.

Might be too little too late for Red to end up in first as we are two out with two left, but a good win over a revamped and re-energized Gray team.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, I was rereading the heroics of our Red team. I tell you one of my favorite players on our team was Howard. Probably because he's the little guy, the underrated player, who does great things. I kind of identify with him because at one time I was the little guy before I gained a few pounds. Mr.Wolf

    ReplyDelete