Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Poem to the Tune of Royal 24, Red 17

I had nightmares last night. The main one is I had turned into Tom Thares, coach of the Royal Creaker team we drew in the first round of the Lee Jackson Tournament (end of season tournament) yesterday. For those that know Tom, he is, shall I say, a little cantankerous. I was pounding my fist into the wall. And this is what I was chanting:

One two, another boot. Ball four, open the door. Five six, outs per inning, Seven eight, it's too late!

And then I woke up and realized it was true! Except for the part about turning into Tom. No offense intended, Tom.

That is how my team the Red felt after we booted the first game of the LJT. Every ball hit to us found a pebble to kick off of, or a hole in our glove, and guys who hit all year were hitting the ball right at Gene Traversaro, the Royal third baseman.

No disrespect intended, Silver Royale, or James Bond or whatever Tom's troops are called, they earned the win. They made the plays that we didn't.

The amazing thing is we were in it despite ourselves up until the bottom of the eighth. We had first and third, two outs and down two runs. I had tormented Royal all day, and Pete Cordova was determined that I wasn't going to get a hit. He told me "You aren't going to see a pitch to hit." At 1-0, he left one a little too close outside, and I just missed the left field line. Then he threw three straight balls a foot deep, and it was the first time I was 'unintentionally' intentionally walked in my life. It worked as the next batter made an out, but no one should ever tell me this is recreational softball again. Some of us play for keeps when it comes to playoffs. I actually tip my hat, it was gutsy as he put the tying run in scoring position, and we had the heart of the order coming up.

But so it went down, and Ruben Vasquez' big hit in the open inning polished us off, and now we are in the position of having to win out to get to the championship game. It's ok, we love the challenge. Bring it on.

And Pete, don't leave one that close next time, you got lucky this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment