Wednesday, May 9, 2012

To the Lava Cave!

Bats, Lava, Lava Tube, Bats in your Belfry, Curt Blefary. Fried Green Lava.

Lava Stream, Stream of Consciousness. Unconscious.

It's Derek's story, I am just borrowing it. Apparently on the field Monday night our hero was in another game and when he came to bat suddenly out of the sky fell two black blobs onto the infield. First thoughts were of the headline "Terrorists attack Pleasanton softball fields." Then he realized that was ridiculous. It turned out the two blobs were two bats (yes the animals not the kind we swing) that had collided midair and dropped dead right in front of home plate. It must be to amazing to inspire such awe in not only your teammates and the opposition but in these creatures that they lose the one thing they have for protection, their sonar... I hope they walked our hero Big D after that sign.

But back to last night's game. Unconscious is when RB connects. He is so used to it, he just starts jogging out beyond the fence to retrieve the missile. "You hit it, you get it." The opposition and umps say it almost sneeringly. Green is the Lava. RB hit two home runs to start and finish the scoring in our one big inning, the third, which settled things as we plated 12 to go up 15-1 on the way to the 21-4 rout.

The team called Green Lava has not solved their pitching crisis in the last month since we last faced them. The way I have been hitting on this team, I just decided I might as well take the free passes - I even got an RBI on a bases juiced walk! We only took 8 walks this time, down from 12 in the season opener.

Mostly it was humdrum but there were a couple of highlights besides batting around for the 12 run third. I loved the at bat Cage had in it. The left fielder played him shallow and Nick's eyes got real big, and he smashed it to the fence. There is no feeling in softball better than to come up with something open that you see, and then hitting it exactly where and how you want.

And on defense, poor Mario earned for himself return trips to the hot corner by making a couple of really nice stops on tough shots. He let the third one go (which no one could have had) to try to convince the coach his play was a fluke, but the coach sees right through that. Have fun Mario!

Everyone had an RBI and everyone scored a run to make it an egalitarian win outside the two RB blasts.

The next two weeks are the pivotal point of the season. The evil Big Kahunas are first, and they were tossed aside by Blue Dots last night. We owe them for all past injustices, score-wise and attitude-wise, so it's time to step up against them and then on them. After that the rematch with the Blue Dots but I'll get to that next week.

Oh, and Sir Guy had one K, and Rams had a chance to try third base too!

Milestones:

Heffe        90 bb (#1)
Coop        80 bb (#2)
Jason        250 ab (#17)

6 comments:

  1. 90 bb, is that the leader in bases on balls, or, bats in the belfry??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one Barry! I think both, but you will have to confirm with my teammates...

      Delete
    2. Man,that's a heffofa lot of free passes. Getting on is the key....

      Delete
  2. OK Barry here is more information than you asked for: I have kept stats for the Transdyn team for 16 years now, longer than any of my current teams. So that covers 357 games in the book. I am tied for games played over that period with another player, Coop, at 330 games. Another team called the Coneheads (who don't start until June) play more games per year and now have 359 games in the books (of course both teams predated me but I am the stats slut here). My original team, the Lyons, played together from 1982-2006, but we didn't start stats until 1986 when we joined the Pleasanton league. Lyons had 540 games before we folded the team after 25 years in 2006. Of course none of this means anything to anyone except a few select players who love to track the stats, and understand how that is a large part of the fun of baseball and softball, no matter that I am obsessed I am with it. But it is our history and our legacy, for those of us who love to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed your response. You're most likely a good judge of character, and though we don't even know each other, through your blog we made a little connection, and, a little understanding.

      Not now, but I have some funny anecdotes about Dorsett's GOLD GLOVE, since I know you love it so much (!) and I, perhaps more than anyone, enjoyed your previous comments about it. At the games, it has become a real target for me to seek my best humor and sarcasm......it ALWAYS cracks me up to see it.

      Delete