Monday, May 7, 2012

Bulletin Board Material

I am such a softball slut that tonight I took in another team's game. The Conehead left fielder is coming back from shoulder surgery, and tonight was going to be his first game back. The Coneheads' league doesn't start up until later than other leagues; since he was playing for another team just a few minutes from my house, I thought I might as well go hang out.

What I didn't know is that Greg plays part-time on a team comprised of players from two of the Coneheads' archrivals in the Orinda league. I had mixed feelings watching them lose. On the one hand there are a couple players I like on those teams; on the other hand, well you know the other hand. I hope they continue losing through August.

One of the players plays with us on Sundays now. And another of them played one season with the Coneheads in our fall league a couple of years ago. We nicknamed him Buddha. You can guess why. Scott is very strong, a great hitter, and we had fun with him that one season. But if you looked at him you would understand why he got that name.

Buddha has a lot of respect for the Coneheads, and a lot of bad memories from us beating them every time we played them for about ten years. His team, Cal Bronco, has beefed up the last two years. They actually won the regular season last season, beating us twice in the regular season. But we had the last laugh; it was us against them in the playoff championship game, and in one of the best championship games in years, we prevailed 24-22, and walked off with the Cotton.

Well, tonight, I talked to the Buddha for quite a while after their game over a beer. He is a great guy. It was funny, because while I was talking to him, I kept hearing snippets of the conversation a little bit away between the other players. I kept hearing 'Coneheads' and 'frustrate'. Apparently the Coneheads are a great source of frustration to the rest of the league; even though we haven't won that league every year by a long shot, we probably have more than anyone else over the last dozen years; they just don't know how to beat us consistently. We always come back.

But my conversation was with the Buddha. And here is what he said. He said, we did not retire him once in 3 games last year; he was 16 for 16 against us. And he intends to continue that throughout the upcoming season.

Well the gauntlet has been thrown. I may become a Buddhist, or consult with the Dalai Lama. Burn incense. Meditate. We will get it done. We will get you out. Mark it down. And, as I said tonight, just keep in mind who was the last team standing last year. I'll take that over 16 for 16 anytime and I know you would too.

No comments:

Post a Comment