Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Just happy to be here

In the one game I did not cover last week, my Wednesday night 'Legends' team (this is what they call over 50 in Pleasanton) Sunshine Saloon won a won a rather workmanlike game 14-7 over a team called the 4 Speed.

This is not the story. We always beat them. Usually we play down to their level and it is close. This one, not so much.

The story is that everyone always beats them. I looked it up. Not all the years are archived on the Pleasanton website that tracks the standings, but most are. The 4 Speed team has been in the league at least since 2000. Their record in the years tracked: 16 wins and 158 losses. That is an average of about 1-10 every season. I know that the years not tracked include the last 4 seasons, and if they won 2 games over that time, I would be surprised. Their 'big' season, they went 4-8.

And they are happy every single game. Their attitude is, we are just here to have some fun, have a beer and some pizza and then go home. They never argue with the opponent or the umpires; they never get on each other for missing ball after ball and hitting into double play after double play.

There's no way I could do it. I don't have to win every game, but it would be good if I did. I hate to lose, and if I lost every single time and there was no hope of coming in anywhere above last place, well, just bring the straight-jacket for Heffe.

I admire those guys. I am sure I have far more flaws.

Just don't ask me to be on their team.


No comments:

Post a Comment