Sunday, March 11, 2012

Greatest Games Ever Part I - Is it Live or is it Memorex?

For a couple of years we played a team called Memorex. They made recording tape back in the day. If you are of a certain age, you will remember the TV spot with Ella Fitzgerald where she sings a high note and the sound of it breaks a wine glass. Then they play a recording of the same voice and it also breaks the glass to show how realistic the tape is. Ancient stuff now.

We were playing Memorex and it was a really low scoring game. I mean REALLY low for slow pitch softball. We were being shut out, 4-0 going into the bottom of the seventh. We had two outs and none on too. Very dismal.

To our own embarrassment, the next two batters hit dribblers between the pitcher and third base and they are hit so slowly they beat them out. Now, there are two on and two out, but we are still down to our last out and down four. The next couple of guys get legitimate hits, and we score a couple and they walk Woody, who was our young buck in those days; he was about 25 and the rest of us were in our mid to late 30s. I come up to bat with the bases loaded, two outs, the tying run on second, and the winning run on first. What we all live for, except it wasn't the major leagues and it wasn't the World Series. Still, all I wanted to do was get a base hit to score the tying run from second, and then let someone else be the hero.

Well, I hit one of my patented bloopers behind SS (I am left handed). The shortstop backpedals, and promptly falls on his ass. The left fielder goes into a full dive and slides right past the dropping ball. Did I say it was late in the year and the grass was wet? The left center fielder does essentially the same thing going across the other way, so now both outfielders are almost to the infield, sprawled on the ground.

All the runners are running wildly except me cause I don't matter. I am jumping up and down as I round first and watch the action. It is clear that we will at least tie the game up. Woody takes off from first base and never hesitates...he gets a full head of steam and nothing will stop him at third base. One of the fielders finally picks up the ball and throws wildly, and Woody scores the winning run easily, 5-4, game over.

Our rallying cry from then on - Is it real or is it Memorex?

No comments:

Post a Comment