Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Goat

One month ago, I wrote about my Sunshine Saloon team breaking a 22 game losing streak to the prior league dominating team formerly known as Boomers' Bangers now called the Renegades, which is their name in tournament play.

Last night we reverted to form - down 19-5 going into the bottom of the seventh. Maybe it was all a dream.

And then, it happened. It started innocently enough with a single and a walk and a force out. And then - 11 hits, an error, another walk and a sac fly, and it was suddenly 19-18 with the tying run on third and winning run on first with two outs.

The big blows were base loaded, bases clearing triples by Mark and Don. But obviously everyone contributed.

And then I came up. And I hit a medium hard ground ball up the middle that on another night might have seen the outfield grass, but on this night the second baseman cut it off and got the force at second to end the game.

I let the team down, even if no one would say it. Or maybe I just let myself down, I like to think I get the big hit in big situations. But the cliche goes, "there is no I in team", so I guess we lose as a team just as we win as a team.

Still.

Maaaaaaa.

But glass half full. We can play with these guys. We were missing two of our best hitters, and best outfielders. It's all spilt milk now, but we will see these guys again in the regular season and almost surely in the first round of the playoffs. I can't wait cause I owe everyone a big hit, and dammit I'll get it next time.

1 comment:

  1. There was plenty of goat cheese to go around early Heff. That last rally was fantastic. It's amazing what can happen when you hit em there they airn;t . Don get's the game ballfor burning the right fielder deep for a triple. Way to go Don.

    ReplyDelete