Friday, September 21, 2012

The Magic is in the Dugout

Jason: I have to explain once again.The Game Winning RBI, no longer sanctioned on any level of organized ball, is the run batted in that puts a team ahead to stay in a game you win. Simple, even if obsolete.

You have the advantage here, now that you are a power hitter. You lead off, all you have to do is go yard, and the way we are playing we will never trail again, and voila you can get four the rest of the season.

OK?

I say this because Jas went yard twice in our latest rout, 14-3, over the outmatched Richert Lumber team. He called his shot - we were both early to the field, and walked in together. "Winds blowing out to left on field 3," he muttered. "I'm going out tonight." And then he DID it. Twice. He didn't tell me it would be twice either. OK, I am impressed.

But no GWRBI. That is because we started as slow as Richert. It was 0-0 through two. They did, because...well because Sir Guy was dealing as usual, but who was that catcher? He called a helluva game. Oh, me? Bill's Earned Run Average when I catch the whole game: 3.00. Who's your Daddy?

If you look at the box score, it didn't seem like a typical rout. Except for D with his usual four hits (and mostly they were grounders that found their way through), and our latest super sub Jesse (3-4 with a double and a triple), a lot of guys had kinda off games. But there was no panic, just a quiet calm that we would win as usual. Confidence is a great thing when you are going well. We are playing like the Giants and 49ers - just go out, know you will, and then crush the opposition.

There is always a moment when you know it's over. In this one, it was Mario handling a tough liner in the outfield (playing second, don't get me started), that is bobbling it momentarily, and when the runner goes from third, totally hosing him with a bullet to me at home. Game over. I don't remember the score, but the statement was "don't even think it, you aren't coming back on this defense."

Mario had a good hitting game, with three hits including a double as did Sir Guy, 2-3 with yet another two bagger.

And so it goes. The magic is in our dugout this season, and the magic number is two. I say this knocking on wood, my head and anything else around me. But if we can win the next one, then we can win the next one and it's over. We have lofty goals this season, let's get them.


Milestones:

Coop     250 rbi (#4)
Mario    150 g (#10)
Jas        300 ab (#12)
Rams    20 2b (#16)

4 comments:

  1. What? A length discussion if game winner and no mention o who got it? =)
    Sir Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate spell check
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only did I not mention who got it, I left it out of the stats. Gee, who got it? Oh it was Sir Guy! What a coincidence, it was you that brought it to my attention! Good Job! Stats will be updated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job guys! Keep the juggernaut rolling!

    Looks like I might be losing my job behind the dish...

    ReplyDelete