Friday, September 14, 2012

Johnny Be Good

This working for a living, it really gets in the way. Normally, I spend the days in reverie reliving last night's game, conjuring up phrases, researching the classics in literature to come up with the theme for the game. It's fun.

Now, earlier in the week I got this idea about our latest super sub, and Chuck Berry has been in my Head all week. Go, Go Johnny Go, Go, Go.

Only then it became Go, Go to work Heffe Go...Go Heffe Go, Heffe be Good.

However. I digress.

I still remember what it was all about. Johnny came in and took ownership of the middle infield for a couple of games, especially Monday against Team Confusion. He ate up balls up the middle to get a force, took a shot off his chest and still got the ball to Chuck for the force, and turned a great double play. It's good to know we have him in the wings for this season, in case Ol' G can't get back for a while.

He fits right in because the Coneheads are all about defense, it's really one of the two things that sets us apart. You don't win 19-2 last week and 19-1 this week back to back against nominally the two teams that will fight for second place (if we have our way) without it.

There were other memorable plays. A couple balls scooped up at the hot corner by Greg, although he tried to show off his curve and his slider to me on the throws. But the signature play outside of Johnny B Good was the hot shot to Joe at the mound. How do you have reflexes like that at his age? At any age? He turned and whipped it to Big D coming across the first base bag. Bang Bang, shot down again.

Of course Joe had to tell me he doesn't think I would make that play, since he threw it high, and Derek has what, 6, 8 inches on me? Well, Joe, it may or may not be true, but who has struck out more this season? Huh? Huh???

I digress...yet again. I gotta get more sleep.

I can't remember exactly but I think we had three or four DPs altogether and Team Confusion had no chance. Because we had a decent night at the plate too. Chuck started us off with a walk...I wonder what our record is when Chuck starts the game with a walk. He didn't make an out the rest of the game going 3-3. Sting followed with a single in the hole to right (he will turn into a 2 hole hitter yet!), and even though we hit into a couple of outs, Lefty came up with a two out two run shot for a double, and the race was on. We started out kind slow, and only had a 6-1 lead through three but we kept a steady flow of runs and ran away with it. The capper was a bases loaded triple by who else but Chopper in the sixth. Markley quietly went 3-3 with a walk, and has made such a habit of not making outs we don't even notice any more. Sting and Lefty were the others with three hits, and everyone contributed.

I almost forgot the pitching. Joe and Larry were so steady, it was easy. Three runs allowed in two softball games, not bad at all. Can't wait until Monday. Whoda thunk I would say that. Monday is a work day.

Milestones:

Sting          400 h (#12)
Chopper    200 ab (#19)
Lefty         10 3b (#20)
Markley    100 h (#22)

No comments:

Post a Comment