Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Difference Between Winning and Losing

"The difference between winning and losing a game like that is like the difference between football and bowling."

- Heard as we walked off the field after the Walnut Crackers routed the Concord Blue Meanies 27-4 in a seven inning shortened game. The man who said it had the initials JK and wasn't me, and I have no idea what he meant. I just want to know if I should notify the fan groups of the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA).

They have a Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/ProfessionalBowlersAssociation and a website dedicated to bowling fans, http://www.bowlingfans.com/, if any of you want to do the honors.

In other news, I was once accused of making a game recap all about me by one of my teams. I responded by starting out the next newsletter with: I I I me me me mine mine mine. I promise not to do that today. I will refer to myself in the third person: The Leadoff Hitter hit a gapper, that dashing first baseman made a fine stab on a grounder by Vic, etc. You won't know who I am talking about necessarily. I will remain humble.

I'll just say I am a little bitter that John Banker singled to get Don Clay's pinch runner to second in the third inning as the fifth run. So when that guy hit his first gapper to straightaway center, it could only be scored as a double, and he came up short of the cycle by a triple that coulda been.

It was a huge team game and your Blues hit and fielded on all cylinders, and especially, Clay pitched a masterpiece. I am coming to believe that you can pitch in slow pitch softball in a way that makes the opposing hitters hit line drives and fly balls right at the fielders; Clay seems to make a habit of it. Holding a team to 4 runs in a softball game is pretty good evidence.

The defense had a great game, and was highlighted by Randy Kramasz making two great catches in the one of the middle innings. We may have had one or two miscues but pretty much made all the routine outs, and each infielder made at least one tough play (Ray Maradiaga, Mikey Carlo, Murray Herriman).

Quite a few players had outstanding days at the plate: Kramasz went 5-5 with two HRs. Tom Occhiogrosso had the best day of anyone: He was just a double short of the cycle and went 5-5 with a HR, two triples, and five RBIs. Brian Black was also 5-5 with a HR and two doubles, Maradiaga had a down day but also scorched the middle gap for a two run shot, and Carlo was 4-5, newly installed in the two spot in the order. And that leadoff hitter? 4-5 with a HR, two doubles and a team leading 6 RBIs.

The Crackers or Blues or Creakers or whatever you want to call us have had a rough few weeks, and hopefully this kind of laugher is what we will look back on and say it turned our season around.

No comments:

Post a Comment