Friday, October 5, 2018

A Two Fer

Since I missed the last game and there was no blog the week before, you get a partial two-fer this week. The important thing of course is that they were both wins, 11-5 over M.A.R.A. and 22-3 over the Blue Dots, and this sets us up to go into the playoffs on a roll.

Looking at the book and with anecdotal evidence, it appears that Gregg carried the day. Two bombs and seven RBIs. Of course not everyone saw it that way. Tom wasn't bragging to me, just giving me facts when he crowed to me in texts about his five RBI game Wednesday morning. At 6:08 am. No not much. Except when he said that if no one else had an RBI we would have still won (presumably 5-3 because of his stellar pitching. Just remember there is no Tom in Team. At most half a team. Get over it.

Oh and by the way Gregg's game was tainted - he used an illegal bat the first time, but wasn't caught. Apparently his words were, "How did that bat get in my bag?" Uh, Gregg, I think I know who put it in your bag - there is no divine intervention in at least that aspect of softball.

Everyone contributed. Bo was 5-5, scoring on four of those hits, and we will miss that in the playoffs. D had four hits and got on on an error, but my bet is he was talking about how he isn't hitting well after the game. Greg and Tom were the others with four hits, with the twelve RBIs between them. The team hit so well we hardly mention B, Mario, and Hama with three hits each.

The week before, it was not such an offensive explosion, but we handled M.A.R.A., who ended up in second place, 11-5. Does anyone know what M.A.R.A. stands for? Sounds like one of James Bond's enemies.

The reason I wanted to make sure I cover it is that Cage was a one man wrecking crew. We are used to Gregg, or Bert or D going off, but there's a reason Nick bats third. He gets on, gets over and gets home. In this game he was merely three for three with a Sac Fly, a two run homer that put us up 9-3 taking away M.A.R.A.'s hope, a double, and he threw out a runner on a fly out for a double play. He also made a diving catch in shallow center. Have a game.

Others did all right too. The pitcher just keeps churning out those singles* - Tom was 3-4. Six others had two hits - one was a monster shot over the fence by Bert.

But the highlight of the game through all of that was when Monty scored from first on what - a sac fly? an error? It was funny, I looked away when Bo hit the fly out, but when I looked back, there was Monty gleefully trotting around third with a big grin on his face. He scored from first by being awarded three bases when the pitcher threw his glove at the ball coming in from the outfield - and made contact. Sometimes the weirdest plays are the ones that make it that much more fun, and the ones you remember.

Now it's playoff time. We'll miss Bo, but if everyone keeps up the effort we have had lately, I like our chances. We are the team to beat but we won't let that happen.

*Skipping even watching and coaching the game Tuesday because of my injury, my biggest fear was that I might miss history. When I heard from Tom that he was 3-4 with five RBIs, my first, panicked thought was that I missed Tom getting an extra base hit. When he said one of them was a liner down the right field line with only three outfielders, my heart sunk. Could I have missed Tom's second extra base hit out of 400+ at bats? Sigh of relief, he said his sore hammy prevented any hopes of extra base hits. Whew!

Milestones:
9/25
Bert           40 hr (#1)
Monty       400 g (#3)
Cage         1100 ab (#4)
Tom          400 ab (#14)
Brian        150 r (#14)
Bo            50 h (#35)

10/2
Cage         160 2b (#1)
Coop        750 h (#2)
Bert          300 ab (#17)
Gregg       50 rbi (#35)

No comments:

Post a Comment