Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Red Herring

My mother used to say to us kids, "If you can't find something nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all."

I never did listen to my mother, much to her frustration. While it was great advice, I never seemed to have enough self-control.

But therefore, in honor of that great woman, I will make today's post on Red's ignominious loss to Royal, 16-6, very brief. Indeed it is summarized elsewhere by the venerable G Namanny.

We sucked. They played well. The end.

OK, that's not all.

Royal did play well, particularly on defense, and we were done in by our usual sad-sack miscues. But we did have some highlights: Bill Marthinsen made a great stop on a shot down the third base line, but unfortunately was not in position to get an out. Rich Brown made a great running catch in right center, but made it look routine as he often does. And Randy Crase went deep into the hole at short to get a force out at second to end the third scoreless. On a shot up the middle, Lamont Thompson made a great stab on a hot one hopper, stepped on the bag, and fired a dart in the dirt, and I picked it for the double play. Just to make the cliche true, he and I were the first two hitters the next inning.

And there aren't too many hitting highlights when you only score 6 runs. We had all of one extra base hit, a double by Kevin Kane, and Tony Gorgone was a perfect 3-3. Al Kidwell and I had two. That's about it when you hit .395 as a team.

Isn't there another tournament coming up?

No comments:

Post a Comment