Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bear Dots

Cage is probably wandering around Mendenhall Glacier about now, in a fog, wondering "whatever happened in that Transdyn game last week against the Blue Dots?"

This is because Juneau, Alaska somewhere near Nick's current location on vacation has more fog than anywhere on earth, I believe. It was sure socked in when I was there, and they told me when I took roughly the same Alaska cruise he is on that Juneau has an average of 300 days a year that are foggy and/or rainy.

This reminds me of a story. Of course. You see, I have never seen a bear live in person, outside of a zoo. It is what I call the Great Keep Heffe From Seeing a Bear Conspiracy. Once, in a campground on a motorcycle trip we thought we heard a bear traipsing around but of course it was pitch black that night, no moon. So that one remains a rumor. When I went on that day trip to Mendenhall Glacier outside Juneau off the cruise ship, I was actually able to talk my kids into taking a little hike up above the glacier. Everywhere everyone warned us to watch out for bears. I say yeah right you don't know about the Heffe curse. I watched out, because by then (and now) I wanted desperately to see one before I die.

Well, no bears on the trail, all two or three miles. Whodathunk? We got back to the parking lot where the bus waited to take us back to the boat, and all the people down there, who I might add did not venture out to the trail to see the bear, were all abuzz about the mama and her two cubs down by the lake, a short walk away. Everyone was real scared - "watch out for a mama bear when her cubs are around!". We rushed down there, and just when we turned the corner - no bear to be seen. So the Bear remained elusive and does to this day.

You may be asking, well, what the hell does this have to do with the last Transdyn game? And I answer, well, nothing, but I am just trying to cover that I haven't written about that game for a week now, and with several other games in my mind since, I don't remember much. And to tell you the truth, it is a little harder to write about a loss, that kind of game especially, where we had it in our grasp and let it get away.

No doubt the Blue Dots are very talented and may or may not be cheating with shaved bats. But we have talent too, and even though they took the season series 2-1, we outscored them 47-45. They are two of our three losses, and we are their only loss. We lost this battle but I just hope we get them again in the playoffs - we have beaten them there before.

So it is a little like the elusive bear the last couple of games with them...we missed a couple of balls in the outfield that we normally get, and that cost us a few runs, and we didn't hit like we normally do, and there is your two run loss 12-10. We chased them and they disappeared. There - I did it! I tied in the bear story! Do I get a prize?

The game - it was tight through four innings, 6-4 Bad Dots. They put up five in the fifth, but we answered with six in the sixth, and it was 12-10 going into the seventh. Unfortunately we couldn't score and so it went. Wasted great game from Big D with a homer and a double and a sac fly, and a couple of hits from the usual suspects - Jason, Timmy, RB, Hama, and Woody. The fourth inning summed up our offensive game - three straight hits to start the inning including a booming double by Rams, then three straight fly balls that got two more runs in, but did not extend the inning.

We are OK, we have clinched the playoffs, and have our upcoming revenge game against the Kahunas.to finish the season. I thought we had a slim chance to sneak into first but it would require a lot of help from teams not capable of it most likely, i.e. the Blue Dots would have to lose out. But I just looked - if they do, BASBHAT would end up ahead of us because those teams play each other next week after our game. So we will finish in second or third, and play the loser of that head to head match up in the first round of the playoffs. We have been the lower seed in the playoffs before, in fact just last fall! and we know how that turned out. A good game against the Kahunas would be a good sendoff.

Milestones:

None

No comments:

Post a Comment