Monday, August 14, 2023

Before getting to the game...

There is a point to this story but only the brave or bored will read down...

I had to sit out last week's games because of the following facts:

1. I like to cook.

2. I don't like to cut my finger.

But somehow they don't go together. I sliced an onion AND my finger a week ago Monday night. I went to emergency; it was a pretty deep cut. I did not try the Ronnie Lott method of wounded fingertip athletic treatment. The ER doc decided I did not need stitches and glued it shut. He said don't play until it is stable. Whatever that means.

Tuesday morning I decided that meant I was alive and breathing. I decided to gut it out, it was just a little weepy. I wrapped it up and took BP - no problem. I decided that I will just catch the ball in the pocket and I will be fine. Well, the first ball is a grounder to SS and the fielder has to fire it hard to get the runner. It came in low and I did not have time to get it in the pocket and of course it struck me through the leather right on the fourth finger, the one in question, slightly breaking the cut open again.

I took this as a sign ("You DORK" the sign said). so I skipped the rest of the week's games. After wrapping up it poorly earlier this week, I finally got to the pharmacy yesterday to get the right tape and bandage material.

And then I saw it - a box of "Finger Cots". And there on the box is a picture of what could be my hand and a finger with this rubber or plastic covering on it, and it says "...perfect for abrasions and cuts, temporarily helps to protect fingers while healing"

Well Golly! Great!

But here's the thing. As I rolled it over my finger this morning, I thought, why is this called a finger "cot". Where I am from, a cot is something you sleep on, perhaps at camp, or perhaps when your parents are too cheap to get the kids a separate room, so they get a rollaway cot.

Why not call it what it is: a finger CONDOM, or rubber, or if you prefer a prophylactic. Depending on how well you know me.

But all of you who were on the field with me this morning, rejoice in the fact that I was wearing protection and you were all safe!


I do have to add a humorous side story. My partner Julia has been out of country for six weeks, so I had to deal with it on my own. I grabbed some ice, and threw it in a ziploc bag so it would stanch the bleeding and I wouldn't get blood all over the car, and managed to drive to ER this way. When I got there luckily there was no one in line, I went to the receptionist and told her that I cut my finger and I threw it in a bag of ice. The next thing I know all the RNs and Interns are running around yelling "Amputation, Amputation!" I got into triage real quick, before I could tell them I didn't mean the WHOLE FINGER. Now you know how to get their attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment