Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Who Are The True Gangsters?

I don't want to get ahead of myself here with analogies. The Coneheads, despite another Heady win, 24-7 over Johnny's Gang, haven't really beaten any of the tougher teams in the league, or won anything.

Yet I remember another Bay Area team that started out 18-2 in the fall and ended up winning it all after a couple years off, why when was it, just last Thursday, Dub Nation!

So while we haven't been tested yet, I will take a 4-0 start any time, especially with the way we are pounding the opposition.

Welcome back Chopper! Merely a 4-4 night with the only Conehead yarder and tied with Bruce with four RBIs. And the Chop Swing was in fine form - on one he twisted himself into a pretzel like Popeye in the cartoons and then unleashed the power like he just downed a can of spinach.

He wasn't alone with four hits. Chauncey and Bruce were also perfect 4-4s, the former with two doubles and the latter with a two and a three bagger. Pope also had four hits - and three were extra base knocks. By the way, in case anyone notices, Pope will be sitting on the bench the rest of the season - his last double brought him within one of me on the career list. It's the last and only category I lead this team in and even though you all know how unimportant I think stats are, I just won't have him catching me. Greg - talk to me about always stopping at first or always making it to third - and no getting thrown out trying for a triple.

Randy added to the barrage with the mini-cycle, a single, double and a triple and G matched his three hits. Everyone scored at least once, and everyone had at least one RBI except Charlie, and that was just because they did not want to pitch to him and he walked his last three times up.

Some of it was Johnny's Gang only having three outfielders, and some of it was that they were, well, Johnny's Gang, but most of our hits were drives, and not too many were Coneheads hits.

Bruce and Greg made some nice running catches, but the two best defensive plays did not result in outs. David made a great stop on a smash to third but unfortunately couldn't get a good throw off. Heffe made a great back handed pickup in the dirt but the umpire ruled the runner beat the throw.

Speaking of which -  the ump was so bad that he ended up being possibly the best entertainment in the lopsided game. I can't even go into all the bad calls - but the best line of the night was when he told me, after mixing up the scores in our innings with theirs (right after the JG coach and I agreed on the score right in front of him, I think it was 13-6 at that point), he told me "I'm good at math". In the double header the first week, that ump missed seven calls but they were equally against both teams. If we were not blowing JG out Monday night, it might have been a different headline in this game.

It's just too much fun winning laughers so let's just run the table. OK?

Milestones (I forgot I did this!):

Game 1:
Pope         150 hr (#1)
Pope         160 2b (#2)
Larry        1550 ab (#3)
Larry        900 h (#3)
Ol' G        500 rbi (#6)

Game 2:
Chauncey  50 h (#35)

Game 4:
Heffe        650 rbi (#3)
Pope         800 h (#4)
Bruce       40 2b (#19)
Bruce       100 g (#22)
Chauncey 10 2b (#31)
Chauncey 100 ab (#33)

No comments:

Post a Comment