Sunday, June 6, 2021

Sweet 16

The play of the game for me: I was sitting in my car, getting ready to leave, minding my own business. The car door was still open, I was talking to Julia.

All the sudden I hear the sound of a ball hitting a car, and the next thing I know, there is a ball bouncing off my car door and landing at my foot by the brake. I picked it cleanly!

Reggie from Big Feet came over to retrieve it. He saw it hit my car on the inbound, and said it looked like I got lucky because there was no dent where it hit.

I have to say I have parked at the dog park parking lot for 100% of the games I have played on Field 5 in the last five years at least. Tonight I was a little early so I parked way down the line on the outside. I think it's back to the dog park!

Now back to the game.

In my other life, I was a mathematician. I know, big surprise. So I like numerical sequences.

Especially this one: 2, 9, 16. That's the number of runs we have scored in the first three games. So the next three will be 23, 30, 37. I like this trend!

Finally shaking off the pandemic rust, the Coneheads  put together a combination of solid defense and timely offense to dominate first place Big Feet tonight.

The Feet dropped two on us in the first and it didn't look good when we left the bases loaded in the bottom half. But Joe started his way to a great game in the top of the second when he stopped a smash up the middle, before it hit the ground, and calmly and quickly flipped the ball to first where all I had to do was tap the runner who was slow to get back to the bag, for the double play.

After that, we nearly batted around in the bottom half of the second. Rich had the hit of the game when he cleared the loaded bases with a double to give us the lead at 3-2, and we never relinquished it. We scored three with no outs and importantly scored another three with two outs when Joe and James hit back to back doubles. We never looked back, adding two in the third on a Jeff Hazel Coneheadish double, and six more in the fourth. Chauncey started that rally off with a gapper triple, and after Heffe brought him in and Lefty singled, Joe tripled home two more.

Joe had a big game. He dominated the Big Feet big and little hitters. He stopped another smash up the middle. All told he was 4-4 with two doubles and a triple. Lefty, James, and Gene added three hits each, and everyone had at least one. Rich made the catch of the game with the bases loaded and no outs in the sixth, and James ranged far into shallow left/foul ground to catch the last two outs.

Milestones:

Game 1:
Heffe        650 ab (#2)
Gene        250 h (#9)
Randy      350 ab (#12)

Game 2:
None

Game 3:
Chauncey  50 h (#23)

No comments:

Post a Comment