Thursday, July 19, 2018

Our Cup Runneth Over

Some say that I am obsessed with softball stats. Not so - I haven't had a dream about numbers since I heard about women's measurements when I was a lad.

However, they might point to the fact that I know just by opening a certain worksheet I keep that Tuesday's game was the sixteenth time that Transdyn/Kapsch scored 30 or more runs in a game since 2000, and the last time was June 21st, 2016 when we liquefied the Alabama Tuna Melts 30-5.

I write in this spreadsheet all the times my teams have been in a game with one or more of the teams scoring 30. Transdyn has a very good record in this regard: 16 of 17 were wins.

I had a much better lead in mind to this post. I was going to lead in with this: The MVP of the game when you win 30-7 is usually hard to name, but in this case we will go with the guy who had the perfect 1.000 on base percentage. That of course would be me, as I dragged my sciatic leg up to the plate when we were up 17-5 to pinch hit for Monty, and took four wide ones to assure my batting average stayed the same.

But then I did the stats. And by golly there were three players who were perfect for the game, which shouldn't really be a surprise. Damned D, Coop, and Monty ruined my day in the sunshine. Derek was 5-5 with a double and team high five RBIs. And the two run, two out single with the game still in doubt (we trailed 5-4) that put us ahead to stay. Coop slashed five straight singles and scored on three of them. He even stroked a liner to left! That alone should qualify him. And Monty was 3-3 with a walk and a stolen plate appearance and a couple of RBIs.

Well, they may have been good enough but I still say since I didn't even have a plate appearance and still got a base, my OBP really should be infinity, and the award should be mine.

The game was actually pretty close until after that single by D. Through three innings it was only 6-5 for us. But we scored seven, eight, and nine the last three innings - I guess that erased all doubt.

The good news is Tom came back from his broken thumb and showed no ill affects. Likewise, Paul and his plantar fasciitis. Paul was among the middle of the order group that were nearly perfect with four hits each, joined by Bo (two doubles) and Hama. The latter had a great AB in the last inning where he took a real easy swing but still put it over the right fielder's head for a two run triple.

Too bad they all aren't this easy, but then again if they were, we'd be back up in Upper D as fast as you can say undefeated.

Milestones:
Coop    600 r (#1)
Monty  90 bb (#4)
J           450 h (#5)
Pauly   400 h (#8)
Hama  10 3b (#14)


No comments:

Post a Comment