Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Gray Lives Matter

It has been suggested that I might be a little long-winded when we win a game. So with that in mind I will be try to be brief this week. Because we lost!

Today's story at Field 5 was that there was a Ray Mariadaga sighting. Ray brought margaritas, chips, salsa, guacamole, a variety of cheeses (they were even labelled!), and dished it out to one and all. Everyone who knows Ray feels a strong personal connection. He never forgets anyone. The topper was this: I haven't seen Ray in a couple of years; when I was saying goodbye and thanking him for the spread, he said, I'll be hearing from him soon, August 2nd (my birthday). Who remembers everyone's birthday? I'm lucky if my kids remember mine!

So today, I nominate Ray to become St. Ray of the Creakers, mentor to all, holy to everyone. I'm serious, I love that guy.

In other news, Gray beat White 23-16. Apparently I gave Gray bulletin board material in our last game, a White win I might add, and they took it out on us. They had contributions up and down their lineup (I think Steve Suchon and Les Reams had about eight hits between them), and we countered with uncharacteristic walks, uncharacteristic errors, and general malaise at the plate. We made a late run, closing to the final score after the top of the eighth, held them in the bottom, but couldn't mount a final comeback in the ninth.

Mike Sainden had a perfect 5-5 thing going. Mike Guerrero was 4-5. David Partridge had three knocks including a double. Barry Gronenberg and Clay Kallam were the others with three hits. In his return from the DL Charlie Uhlman had two including a booming triple. Partridge, Coach Neil Henry, and Paul Lisi all made great running catches. Guerrero had our ESPN highlight, diving to his left to grab a low liner. He even got dirty.

The rest was waiting for Mariadaga's Margaritas. Live long and prosper, Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment