Friday, September 18, 2015

Everyone's A Critic

The Snorts used to be the Duck Snorts. I guess they thought that Ducks didn't sound macho enough. Or Duck Snorts was too long to write out on the lineup card. Or maybe, just maybe, they read my blog last year when I suggested that all the teams with two words in their names replace the second with Schmutz. I guess Duck Schmutz didn't resonate with them - who knew? So now they are the Snorts.

I won't be mentioning any names, but suddenly I have a critic. It has been suggested that I should perhaps spend more time highlighting the defensive gems...after all, perhaps just as much as the Conehead inning, our trademark is that we play better defense than most teams, and as the cliche goes, defense wins championships.

Here I was sailing along with my high opinion of my clippings, and now I find that everyone is bored with hearing about Larry going 2-2 and Heffe hitting the weakest 3-3 possible (all singles, no runs, no RBIs) and watching in amazement as Chopper takes a bases loaded walk. For God's sake, that was the eighth wonder of the world.

So I won't be making a big deal out of Chuck's 3-4 with a game starting triple down the line...when Knight drove him in (with the first of his three hits) it set the tone and even though we gave up the lead temporarily in the second and the third, really our offense was consistent enough that no one ever had an doubt about the outcome. It's just not that important, right Chuck?

Nor will I make a big deal out of Pope's off field moon shot with the bases loaded in the fourth. The game actually was close at that point, and the grand slam converted a 9-6 lead into 13-6, and when we added three more that inning for a mini-Conehead inning (I can't believe I am not even that impressed with a seven run frame on this team), at 16-6 destiny really had solidified. The ultimate score was 17-9.

Oh and I can't talk about Bruce - we wanted to get him up again but time ran short - because he had the maxi-mini cycle. How many guys have a homer, a double, and a triple in their first three at bats, and just need a single to get the four pack? I told him he had to stop at first his next time up, and when I said that, we agreed that he was totally jinxed now. Not that we are superstitious. Luckily or not, he didn't come up again so I am off the hook for that one at least.

No, instead I have to reward the defenders who make the great plays, even though half the time I forget about them between coming off the field and the next inning due to not-so-early senility. But I do remember Chuck, a great dive up the middle and an out in the first inning that kept the Snorts off the board for at least the first.

And Larry made two tremendous stops that were on him in a flash on the mound - and he turned one of them into a double play. Although when a pitcher makes a great stop you are never sure if it was just pure animal instinct, i.e. self-preservation that took over. Nevertheless, great stuff.

But the play of the game was on a five foot batted ball straight back off the plate over Chopper's head at catcher. He leaped! and he grabbed and snagged it! We will have to change the Chopper to the Cleaper. Or Clopper? Or Cheaper? He already is the Cheeper back there behind the plate, with his jive. Popcorn! No Butter! Alley Alley! Cheep! Cheep!

There. I highlighted the defensive gems. I'm sure I forgot a half dozen but progress will come slowly. Please be patient.

Solid win on both sides of the ball really, though.

Milestones:

Pope        700 rbi (#1)
Larry        30 sf (#9)
Bruce       50 r (#29)
Bruce       50 rbi (#30)

1 comment: