Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Lucky 19

Ommmmmmm...Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm

This is the sound of Heffe meditating on the playoffs this coming weekend. After Monday's game against the Buddha's Cal Bronco, I'm thinking Zen Buddhism is the way to go. I'm meditating on the number 19.

But first...

Nineteen has been my lucky number since I was nine years old. Long story, but I won two straight bingo games at a resort on family vacation in Estes Park CO, in a room full of a couple of hundred people, on the number I-19. I think I won something like twenty bucks, a huge sum for a nine year old. Boxes and boxes of baseball cards could be bought with such a fortune. Therefore I wear number 19 on almost all my teams. Tony Gwynn, my hero, the master of the 5-6 hole as a lefty, wore number 19. But I'm not superstitious. Much.

Monday night the Coneheads erupted for 19 runs in the first inning. Every game I have to scramble to get enough players, and we are missing many of our best hitters, the rest of the team steps up, and uncorks a huge offensive output. Monday the buzz-saw hit our sometime teammate Buddha's team, Cal Bronco. On paper they should have out-slugged us - they have a veritable murderer's row in the middle of their lineup. They even exploded for their own big inning, a 12 run second, but it was not enough to overcome our great start. We ended the time shortened game (four innings) up 26-17.

Buddha, who plays with our alter-ego teams in the Fall League and in Spring in Walnut Creek, is married to one of my tribe (she's Jewish - does that make them a Bujew family?). This means he loves to suffer. When he talks about facing the Coneheads in the summer, he sounds like he is already beaten, and it is like Henny Youngman talking about his wife ("Take my wife...please!").

Monday he suffered an ultimate indignity. And I am not talking about hitting into a double play to end the first. He later received a walk from Doc Larry, on the mound filling in for Joe. Buddha strained a calf muscle while taking ball four. He had to have a courtesy runner, and invoke the Joe Fuchs rule (runner from home for the batter) his last time up with the game on the line. He smoked it, but right at Gene to end the game. Take my bat, please.

In between there were some highlights and a lot of hitting in the middle of the order. Chopper made a run saving catch - I think is was the inning after the Broncos twelve run outburst, and kept them at two runs in the third, and our lead intact at 23-17. That was as close as the Broncos got. We added on three in the top of the fourth. It should have been more but the Bronco's super star outfielder Patrick _ ran down a blast by Chopper and it limited the damage. However, with so much offense, time was running out in the bottom of the fourth. We shut them down on three easy outs to get the win.

A few more notes about the breakout nineteen run first: Bruce had the defining blow - his three run homer as the third batter of the game set the tone. Haz had two doubles, driving in three. Larry C had a critical at bat - he came up with two outs and four in and hit a two run single. It doesn't seem big now, but it opened the gates, after that we got twelve more two out hits (!), so we had 15 altogether. We may have had a couple of bigger innings but I don't recall ever getting 15 straight two out hits. Definitely need to channel that energy for the weekend playoffs. Ommmmmmmm.

Ol' G and D had perfect 4-4 nights with G driving in four runs. Doc Larry, Bruce and Heffe rounded out the guys with three hits.

Milestones:
Heffe        1500 ab (#2)
Ol' G        400 rbi (#7)
Haz          100 rbi (#23)

No comments:

Post a Comment