Sunday, November 3, 2013

Inspiration

Yes, the Coneheads have gone through the classic stages of loss (of blog) while I have been unable to maintain my weekly posts of our games...first they cried out in agony..."where's the blog?"...then anger..."Heffe you have to quit your job, it's interfering with our blog reading"...and denial..."ah we didn't need it anyway...someone else can write it"...and so Gene and now Lefty have provided the recap from last week, fine jobs of prose I might add...if a little old school as it was in email form...and not shared with the huge world of about 15 readers I have.

I had to dig deep, come up with something so inspirational that you will never doubt me again. I even had to go multimedia.

And so I give you...The Wilderness Heather...a short film I made just this morning of my training regimen for Monday night's hopeful tripleheader...it's the last night of softball of the year, one way or another, so it's all out...you may doubt that it is me under that hoodie, but remember these days you can do a lot with trick photography.

The point is, we will do whatever it takes to be ready Monday night...yes it's only rec league softball, but we stand defending six straight championships, in a year where by losing the first game in BOTH seasons' playoff tournaments, we can possibly do the ultimate, win both seasons from the losers' bracket, and play the most games allowable under the rules. It would be amazing.

So turn up the volume, click the link, put it on the big screen, sit back and enjoy...

The Wilderness Heather

Heffe:
I used to write
I used to write letters
I used to sign my name

I used to sleep at night
Before the flashing light settled deep in my brain

But by the time we met
By the time we met the times had already changed

So I never wrote a letter
I never took my true heart, I never wrote it down

So when the lights cut out
I was lost standing in the wilderness downtown

Now our lives are changing fast
Now our lives are changing fast
Hope that something pure can last
Hope that something pure can last

Conehead Chorus:
Now it seems strange
How we used to wait for letters to arrive
But what's stranger still
Is how something so small can keep you alive

We used to wait
We used to wait
We used to wait
Sometimes it never came
We used to wait
Sometimes it never came
We used to wait

Ah and yes there were two wins last week. Lefty and Geno pretty much summed it up but I will repeat if I must...there were three or four big moments.

The first game had only one - Pope's three run blast in the first. Might as well have quit there. Although Good Wood would keep it close (8-5 going into the bottom of the fifth), there never was a doubt and we put it away with a perfectly Conehead bottom of the fifth - we just hit until the slaughter rule took effect. I think it was my first slaughter rule 'walk-off'. Other highlights included Derek with the two of the longest two run singles in history, and a five run third that featured only two hits (four walks and two sac flies).

The Pat's Bats game was a classic. After we had the 10-3 lead they battled back and yes there was a bad call in the outfield that netted us a bunch of runs, and we almost ran out of time down a run in the fifth. But in the sixth Heffe tied it, and Chopper got the game winner when he got his third straight hit (including our other home run) to put us up 15-14. But it was Joe's hit that allowed us to put them away. As Gene said, he hits a grounder, and we go into the bottom of the sixth with but a two run lead. Instead he laces an RBI single, we get two more hits including Pope's second three run homer of the night, and they are down eight going into their last chance.

We don't know what will happen Monday. We can't overlook the Hawks in the first game - they must have beaten a couple teams better than they are to get to the last night. Win one and win often is our motto.

But you know we want another chance (or two) at WMD. They sucker-punched us showing up in the last week of the regular season without their pitcher, and giving us all those walks and taking us out of our rhythm. Won't happen again, I can tell you that.

One Conehead inning per game (two would be nice), and play our usual stellar defense - that's all we need.

Milestones:

9/30:
Heffe        350 g (#3)
Pope        40 3b (#3)
Larry       700 h (#5)
Sting        350 rbi (#11)
Ol' G       650 ab (#14)
Lefty        20 bb (#16)
Chopper  200 h (#19)

10/7
Chuck      1550 ab (#1)
Heffe        900 h (#2)
Gene        400 rbi (#6)
Sting         450 h (#12)
D             50 2b (#14)
Chopper  20 3b (#15)
Knight     150 h (#22)
Randy     50 h (#31)

10/14
Chuck      130 bb (#1)
Pope        200 g (#10)
Chopper  150 r (#18)
Lefty        10 sf (#22)

10/21
Ol' G        30 sf (#6)
Ol' G        250 r (#14)

10/28
Sting        40 sf (#3)
Larry       550 r (#4)
D            100 g (#17)

1 comment: