Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Sun Is Shining

We have a new VP of Sales where I work. He is very gung-ho. Fist bumps abound. He is a good guy as far as sales guys goes. He may even bring the company to the promised land of success and plenty. He lives to work - to make deals, and to win. I probably would have done better in my career if I invested that kind of energy into my job. But I work to live - not the other way around. I don't get like that until I am on a softball field. I love to win. As my dad taught me, "it's not whether you win or lose - it's how you win."

I'm on three teams that finished playoffs in the last month.

One went 12-0 in the regular season, and blew it against the fourth place team. Simply put, we choked. But we had a lot to celebrate - the undefeated season, great team chemistry, and we know we will be back.

The second team is in a league with the equivalent of the Boomers in it. We are a very good team. We lost five games last year, including double elimination playoffs, and four were to them. This year, we lost the opener to them and then reeled off eleven straight wins. In the last game of the regular season, we were down to them, 11-2 after 2 1/2 innings, then scored 25 unanswered runs to win going away. In the second game of the playoffs we shut them down and won 8-4. It was all set up for the upset; they would have to beat us twice on the final day. Well, they beat us once by six, then they blew us out in the penultimate game, 26-8. That hurt.

Which brings me to Sunshine Saloon. We had a season of promise - we improved. Started out 3-1. But we couldn't close out games and lost (or even tied) close ones down the stretch and finished fourth, and only three teams made the playoffs.

Or was it four? They added a playoff game, and suddenly we had the honor of getting drubbed by the Boomers so they could have batting practice for the Championship Game to follow.

Except that's not what happened. We gave them everything they could handle. We got behind in the first, but answered with the max five in the second (Reg with a huge Grand Slam) and took a 10-5 lead into the bottom of the third. They tied it up and then defense kicked in. They barely beat us in the end, by one run, 12-11. If we had just gotten a couple more key hits, we could have won. They were on the run.

It was not to be. But it is said that we took it out of them and they lost the Championship game to State Roofing.

I have never felt as good losing as in that game. It was almost as good as taking them down completely. We are on the rise, and they better watch their backs.

And Dad, better amend that saying. Sometimes, sometimes, it is how you lose that counts.

See you Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment