My therapist finally said I can write about Team Gold's loss last week, 33-28 to Team Orange. She said if I can refrain from crying when I think about it for ten minutes, I am on the road to recovery and can take pen in hand.
It really wasn't that bad. It was a tight fun game for six innings. Team Orange's largest lead was 4-0 in the middle of the first and ours was three runs a couple of times. It was going to go down to the wire, and we had to feel good because we were the home team.
Even when they took their fifth lead of the game at 22-20 after seven complete and added five in the top of the eighth, Team Gold had no quit. We rallied for seven to tie it up on the strength of seven hits and a walk by the top nine in our lineup, combined with a clutch two out tying RBI single by Joy Dardin to knot it up 27-27 going into the ninth.
But our defense the last four innings finally did us in, as we gave up 21 runs in the last four innings. Including six in the open ninth, and we could only muster one in response.
It was disappointing to end the season just like that. Team Gold had great chemistry, and many players said it was the most fun team they have been on in the Creakers. We were in first place alone for eight weeks, and tied for first six others. That was a lot of fun. But the most fun was the chemistry part. In the end, injuries and absences caught up with us, just like most other good Creaker teams. But it's all good. At least that's what she said to me over and over again.
Gary Namanny and Rob Katzer made some fabulous catches in the middle outfield. I would not trade the top two in our lineup, Hugh Vasquez and Bob Fulgham for any team's duo. They were a collective 12-12 with a double each. Nammany behind them had a triple and four RBIs. Katzer and Curt Wade each also drove in four. Wade and my pick for rookie of the year Doug Carlson each went 4-5 as did Stan Bielecki, who popped a booming double up the middle. Steve Alvarez (a monster triple), Anthony Puccio, Dardin, Steve Bedrick, and I all had three hits. That meant that all but one Gold batter had three or more hits. Of particular note were Pooch and Bedrock, who came through in unexpected ways throughout the last two games. And even though Orange scored 33 runs, Bedrock stood tall in the adversity of missing our starting pitcher Tom Gonzales. Tip your cap to the Orange hitters, they hit when they needed to and then some and took advantage of every mistake we made in the field.
And now? I get to spend an extra day on the couch singing nursery rhymes to my therapist. She says I have an excellent voice.
No comments:
Post a Comment