Thursday, June 20, 2024

Orange Gets the Blues, 15-7

You know when something happens in a game, and you say, well, I have played this game x number of years, and I have never seen that! Well, that happened today in the Orange Blue-Yellow game, only as a senior, by the time the game ended I had forgotten what it was entirely.

But alas, there is poetry and good fortune! I was the last to leave Field 4 after the game. I decided to use the rest room before I left. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw a guy who was walking his two dogs tie them up and step into the little building. Well, I followed him in and lo, I heard him playing the harmonica, IN A STALL. I can't say I ever heard that in my life so there you go, there's something new every day. And in case you think I am making this up, as I hurried out, I ran into Creaker Steve Bedrick coming over from Field five where his game had just ended and he can vouch for me! And by the way, he wasn't half bad!

Oh did we have a game today? Orange actually did show up, but you could have fooled me as we just could not get anything going against George Masa. To end the game, for instance, we hit nine straight ground ball outs. Even when Blue brought in their new player/pitcher to relieve Masa for an inning, and he could not find the plate, and we scored three runs when he walked six of seven batters he faced, we didn't get a single hit in the rally.

We started out great with four runs in the first, including our only extra base hit of the game - a two run double by Rick Evans. But those were the only two innings we scored anything!

We had a few good defensive plays. Steve Rousso and Tony Gorgone made a couple of difficult catches in the outfield. SS Jeff Waters made a fantastic stop on a grounder ticketed to left field and got a force at second. There was a popup into no-man's land the eluded the second baseman but the first baseman corralled the bouncing spinning sphere and got it to second in time for an out. Finally, Evans. playing first, came off the bag to gather an errant throw, and stomped on the base in time to get the out.

Although we are still technically tied for first with Purple, we did our part in tightening up the standings. It's a real race - six teams within a game and a half. Shades of the MLB NL Wild card race!

No comments:

Post a Comment